IBM and the All England Lawn Tennis Club have unveiled new ways for Wimbledon fans around the world to experience digital championships using artificial intelligence (AI) based on IBM Cloud and hybrid cloud technology.
The new features created by the All England Club and IBM for Wimbledon.com and the Wimbledon app join Watson in a comprehensive experience for digital fans such as the IBM Power Index, IBM Match Insights with Watson, Personalized Recommendations and Highlights Reels. – It’s all about helping audiences around the world stay informed and connected about players, games and competitions.
New features for 2022 are:
• “Win Factors” brings a better interpretation of “Game Perceptions”: an add-on to determine what factors IBM is analyzing using an artificial intelligence system based on the Wimbledon program and Wimbledon.com’s existing Game Insights feature level explanation. consistent with perceptions and assumptions. Win Factors will give fans a better understanding of the elements that affect player performance, such as the IBM Power Index, pitch, ATP / WTA rankings, head-to-head, win-win ratio, clean-up of winning sets, and recent performance. annual success, media expert.
• A new interactive feature for fans to predict: ‘Give your opinion’: For the first time, users can register their predictions on the outcome of the game through the Wimbledon app and the Wimbledon.com feedback feature. They can then compare their predictions to the combined predictions of other fans and the “probability of winning” powered by IBM’s artificial intelligence.
Wimbledon’s digital capabilities are backed by IBM Watson, which uses a hybrid cloud approach that allows for increased flexibility and efficiency using a combination of ground systems, private cloud and IBM Cloud. The IBM Cloud provides the foundation and scalability for these digital experiences. It uploads and processes game data into artificial intelligence models created using IBM Watson Studio and IBM Watson Discovery, which will provide insights to fans, commentators and the media.
Alexandra Willis, communications and marketing director at The All England Club, said: “Using technology to help fans become more informed, active and proactive during the 14 weeks of Wimbledon is at the heart of our strategy to ensure innovation is used to keep Wimbledon relevant. This year, with Wimbledon returning to full capacity, we look forward to working with IBM to bring a more dynamic, interactive digital experience to our fans around the world. It is our desire to help them get closer to Wimbledon, with a wide range of scores, news and video content on our channels, inviting new game predictions and insights to the game. ”
Kevin Farrar, head of IBM UK & Ireland’s sports partnership, said: “The IBM iX team’s brilliant design, artificial intelligence and hybrid cloud technology-enabled Wimbledon application and digital support features on Wimbledon.com are driving all English clubs around the world. “Sports fans love to argue, and we’re excited to introduce a new tool this year so people can record their game predictions and compare them to predictions from Match Insights by Watson and other fans.”
For the past 33 years, IBM has been the official technology partner of the Championships, developing solutions to streamline and optimize workloads, and delivering innovative digital experiences to sports enthusiasts around the world through IBM iX, an experience design division of IBM Consulting. Using the same technology used by IBM’s industry and businesses around the world, Wimbledon continues to accelerate innovation and improve the digital fan experience. A complete set of IBM-powered digital experiences on Wimbledon.com and the Wimbledon App:
IBM Power Index with IBM Watson
- An artificial intelligence analysis of players’ performance to help fans know who to follow, in addition to the most popular and top-ranked players.
- IBM uses Watson Discovery and IBM Cloud to analyze performance data, study media commentary, and measure player energy.
- Provides insights for fans, such as who should watch and the likelihood of winning.
IBM Match Insights with IBM Watson
- AI is used to generate player information sheets for key lottery singles games, obtain player information, and present the IBM Power Index and winner predictions.
- IBM uses Watson Discovery’s “Media” section to get a basic idea of the players from a trusted source of information.
- Includes a “Numbers” section that uses open source artificial intelligence to translate historical game statistics into player perceptions.
- This year’s novelty. Users can register their predictions about the outcome of the game through the “Have Your Say” feature on Wimbledon and Wimbledon.com.
Personal tips and highlights
- Once fans have decided who to follow through the IBM Power Index, they can be updated with a number of personalized tips and highlights.
- It allows fans to discover new players based on their current favorite players, IBM Power Rankings, top players, country and age.
- Includes links to other features such as the IBM Power Index Leaderboard and Match Insights with Watson. If you sign up for myWimbledon, you will receive highlights that are relevant to you, depending on the players you follow.
The Wimbledon Championships will run from June 27 to July 10, 2022. To see how the technology is being used, visit Wimbledon.com or download the Wimbledon app, which is available from the App Store and Google Play Store, on your mobile phone.